BP Program Guidelines
1. Utilizing Brain Pool Program
Host institutions discover and search for their Brain Pool candidates and apply for the Brain Pool program
- - Host institutions are required to verify the necessity of hosting Brain Pool fellows, the capabilities of the candidates, and the likelihood of their further development
- - Host institutions are required to manage the support system for the Brain Pool fellows (e.g., support for research, living in Korea, administration duties
Announcement of the Brain Pool program Announcement of the Brain Pool program Announcement of eligibility and conditions of the BP program MSIT/NRF Finding the Brain Pool candidate Finding the Brain Pool candidate
by host institution
Finding overseas outstanding researcher in relevant field and self-screening of the candidates by own institutions based on the excellence of his/her work. Host Institution Submit Application Submit Application
Fill out BP application form and submit on ERND
- Further discussion regarding research plan with the candidate
2. Management of Brain Pool Program
Program period: [Type 1] 6-12 months* (3-12 months for industrial bodies), [Type 2] 3 years (2+1)
- ※Brain Pool fellow’s entry into South Korea and the initiation of Brain Pool Program must be commenced within 3 months from the date the selection results are notified (Delay of initiation research over 3 months will lead to the withdraw of the fellowship.).
Level of Funding: Personnel costs of Brain Pool fellow and his/her hosting expenses(Invitation expenses)
- - In accordance with the calculation standards stated in the Brain Pool management guidelines.
[Level of Funding]
Level of Funding Classification Personnel Costs Invitation Expenses Newly Selected KRW 3∼17 Million/ Month
(depending on the results of evaluation of each fellow)
KRW 3.4∼17.6 Million
(airfare, moving expenses, insurance premiums, etc)
- ※ Personnel costs are supported in accordance with the evaluation criteria reflecting research achievements and level of current salary for invited scientist of Brain Pool fellow (minimum 3 million won / month / maximum of 17 million won / month).
- ※ For research institutes affiliated to industries , only 70% of personnel costs will be supported
Brain Pool Grants
- - Providing Brain Pool grants : Following the conclusion of the agreement with the host upon confirming the fellow’ certificates of entry (passports, etc.), Brain Pool funds will be deposited into the host institutions’ account, and the program will then start accordingly.
- - Execution of Brain Pool grants : The host institution pays the fellow’s salary at a flat rate every month after completing the employment contract between the fellow and the host institution, and invitation expenses shall be paid based on the actual expenses, in accordance with the Brain Pool guidelines.
3. Selection Evaluation
Reviewing requirements Reviewing requirements
Evaluation by Expert committee Evaluation by
+ Candidate evaluation
(Document evaluation by panel)
Comprehensive Evaluation Comprehensive Evaluation
Selecting projects for Brain pool funding Steering
Report finalist to the NRF
→ Confirmed by MSIT →
Notify to the host institution